Burgess Family of three...for now

A look into what we ordinarily do...sometimes not that ordinary.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Mr. or Mrs. President!?

Super Tuesday was a roller coaster of a ride! I had anxiety all afternoon as I heard the poll predictions coming in! Because I am registered independent I couldn’t vote in the primary election and I made the mistake of telling Clint we could and sent him out in the morning to brave the crowds…only to find out that we couldn’t! So we resorted to calling everyone to remind them to get out and cast their vote. With the big three concerns being 1.) Economy 2.) Immigration and 3.) Iraq, I have been following the debates and deciding who I would support for the presidential nominee.

I’ll have to admit I started following the Republican candidates in hopes of finding a true conservative candidate, and to my dismay I found that our own Senator McCain, although acclaimed to be a conservative is far from being a valid representation of the party. Not only that, I immediately was turned off by him when I saw the interview shortly prior to the Iowa caucus when he said, “The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should." I really do expect the president of the USA to be an economic expert if they expect to get us out of this recession or at least keep us form getting any deeper into it.

I am very aware of the media’s spin on how they cover the debates, interviews, and even how much air time they give each candidate so I try to really get as much info from all forms of media. This year I turned to one of my friends who is in Iraq and who has made a humble request for all of us who support him there. He emailed me a few days before Super Tuesday and just made this request “Please don’t give your vote to anyone who is promising to get us out of here in the next year!” I thought this was a strange request from a soldier, I couldn’t imagine why he wouldn’t want to come home. He went on to say, “When I signed up to defend my country I understood that I would be asked to do that in a time of war…and I may even be buried with that honor. …. We have accomplished so much in the time we have been here and if we pull out now, all that we have done will have been in vain. …. There is too much to do and one year is not enough time to do it in. Let us do our job, trust us. We came here to keep the war here, if we come home before we are through, we will be bringing that war home with us.”

As I stayed up waiting for all the polls to close and the results to come in, I was very proud of the record setting turn out this election of voters who came out to cast their votes in a primary election. Unfortunately, McCain did a lot better than I had hoped and left me very worried for his fellow party runner, Romney.

Now that Romney has dropped out and Huckabee is gaining delegate votes I am more interested in Ron Paul than I have ever been! He is strong supporter of decreasing the size of government. I don’t know if mainstream Americans will see the up side to this. But seeing as to how the media decides who we get to hear from, I’ve really had to do some research to find out his views. He is defiantly worth looking into. If Romney doesn’t jump back in and run as an independent (which I think is far-fetched), Ron Paul might be our last hope. Check him out!

www.ronpaul2008.com/

1 comment:

  1. first of all thanks for updating your blog! It always makes me happy to hear what you have to say. Wow, to hear that from your friend is odd. But you know what he knows better than any of us what it means to be out there at war. And he has a good point we don't want the war here, in US. I don't know about Ron Paul but I will check him out. I am curious, what do you think about Hillary or Obama?

    love ya
    Candi

    ReplyDelete